Wednesday, May 6, 2009

How do you encourage and still get something you want?

I pulled my youngest out of school for a couple days with all this Swine Flu junk. I'm not overly worried about it, but being without health insurance I have to take a few extra precautions. I can get insurance for her no problem, but Larry and I would be the ones with huge bills. Holly also hasn't had time alone with Larry in a while, so I decided it was a good reason to pack her up and send her for a long weekend with just him. I figure the stuff has been around, but if it was going to show up, it would during this time. I ended up being right. She had Monday scheduled off from school. We were getting her ready that night for field and track day the next day when I got the call the school would be closed for the rest of the week. Thankfully the Health Department has realized they have gone a bit overboard with things and she will be returning to school tomorrow instead of next week. No worries now of being in school for another week into summer.
Anyway, yesterday at lunch time she asked if she could fix my lunch. She wanted to make her specialty special. I was planning on just eating some leftover chili from the other night so it didn't get wasted, so I told her we would see about her making lunch tomorrow.
So a little while ago she asks if I am hungry for lunch yet.
Conversation:
Me - yeah
Holly - Do you want me to make you my Specialty Special?
M - Well that depends on what it is.
H - Well it has chips on it, and a pickle and turkey or ham. And do you like mayonnaise or mustard?
M- What do you mean it has chips and a pickle on it? Is it a sandwich with Turkey, chips and a pickle? And do we have all of these things?
Finally I get her to explain properly she is going to make me a sandwich however I like with what we have here and she planned to put a pickle and chips on the side.
So then she proceeds to make me one the way I request or so I thought. The sandwich ends up with the wrong stuff on it. She made fabulous effort and did it all neatly, but was so excited she miss heard most of what I wanted on it and then what to do with the mess ups so we didn't waste.
Encouraging and still getting something edible when you are really trying to eat better can be hard!
*Noticed last layout made it a bit hard to read the post, lets see how this one works for now.*

1 comment:

Charisse said...

I have no idea. But its cute!

PS my word verification is suclunch :-)